The property and evidence unit is responsible for the initial intake and preservation of evidence and other property collected by deputies of the Boone County Sheriff’s Department.
How to Claim Your Property
- Property will ONLY be released on Tuesdays between the hours of 9am & 3pm. You are not required to call for an appointment however, may expedite service.
- Individuals clamming property must produce a valid government issued photo identification at the time of release.
- Property seized as “evidence” in a criminal investigation requires a court order for the release. Defendants MUST have their attorney navigate this process. Other property collected for investigation may be released with authorization from the collecting deputy/detective.
- Property collected as “founded property” can be claimed without the collecting deputy/detective’s authorization if owner information was provided by the collecting deputy.
- Proof of ownership may be required.
- It is recommended to have the police report number available to expedite inquires and releases.
- A background check will be done on any person claiming a firearm. Firearms cannot be released to ineligible persons under restrictions of United States Code Title 18.
- Property held in excess of 90 days after the owner/claimant has been notified that it is available for release, will be treated as unclaimed/abandoned property and will be disposed of.